Cinnamon Beef Stew & Butternut Squash
Prep time:20 mins
Cook time:1 hour 45 mins
Total time:2 hours 5 mins
Cinnamon, rosemary, and sage give this hearty stew an exotic flavor.
- 1 pound grassfed beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 clove garlic
- Salt and pepper beef generously. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt coconut oil over medium heat, then sear the beef on all sides. Remove meat and set aside.
- In the same pot, saute the carrot, onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and vinegar to the pan, scraping up the brown bits, and cook until it begins to reduce and thicken slightly.
- Return meat to the pot and add 2 cups water, more salt and pepper to taste, bay leaves, rosemary, sage, and cinnamon sticks.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and place lid on pot. Simmer for 1 hour.
- If stew is very dry, add up to one additional cup of water.
- Add butternut squash, cover, and allow to cook undisturbed for another 45 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let stew cool slightly while you prepare the garnish.
- Chop parsley, orange zest, and garlic and mix together.
- Ladle stew into serving bowls and garnish with orange, parsley, garlic mixture.